Wednesday, 17 November 2010

Starting and Stopping

It's been very cold today, a real feel of winter!
I took Remy up to the school to work on my halt and walk transitions in-hand. He was very attentive and although it was a little blustery he remained focussed.
I need to sharpen up the walk transition and to help this we worked on rein-back from the halt into walk on and he became more forward into the walk transition and it felt like he had good energy. The halt's been a bit muddy and he has a tendency to push his quarters to the side, so I asked for the halt only against the fence line to stop him doing this. After a few attempts he started to become much lighter and cleaner into the halt.It was a good session and I finished by walking him back home down the lane.
I then took Anky out for a hack, first time in a while and she was a star. We were out for about 40 minutes and we only walked, but it was a full session with lots of halt, reinback/walk on transitions. On the way home she was really nice and foward without rushing, and at times reaching for a contact, soft in my hand from a few feather like touches on the rein and I felt like I was riding the whole horse. A lot of it felt good today.
I must remember to wear my long boots when riding, my legs were freezing!!

2 comments:

allhorsestuff said...

NICE!!! Loved the long "walking" session out and about with your Anky!
I know...I did it too yesterday, went out with out my half chaps or tall boots(can't wear my tall one bareback though...they slip down)

Lovely to read..glad for you!
KK

trudi said...

Sounds like a brill day!