I took Anky up to the school today intending to lunge her lightly and perhaps a little in-hand work. Once up there I decided to unclip her and perhaps we could do a little free schooling, I really wanted to see her moving without the restrictions of the lunge line. She started off by following me around and I walked towards the bottom end of the school. Half way down she stopped and wouldn't follow me further, in fact she turned and walked back to the gate and just stood there looking over the field. I walked towards her, meaning to move her away, but before I got up to her she trotted over to the corner and stayed looking down the field towards the stables. I left her for about a minute then started to walk towards her, before I could reach her,she gave a half buck and set off up the school in canter. She's obviously feeling more energetic than she was, which is good, but I don't think that this was carefree play, she was suddenly a little apprehensive about being there and as she cantered around, skidding into the corners and turning sharply I was a little concerned that she may hurt herself. It wasn't panic, but she certainly wasn't happy. I stayed very still, off the track towards the centre of the school and at one point she came to a halt and I thought she'd collected herself, but she set off again at full blast. I talked to her calmly, but if she was listening,she paid no attention to it. Then, I clicked a couple of times and she immediately trotted up to me and halted directly in front of me. She was blowing and very alert, but she stayed with me at halt and I gave her a treat, standing still until she started to calm, then I clipped her up and we did some leading at walk until her breathing returned to normal. I'm not sure what it was all about, but it does prove what a powerful tool the clicker training is.
Todays episode has given me a little more confidence in the fact that she may be healing and I've decided to continue with the hacking out in company interspersed with lungeing and in-hand work. I'm also going to hack out alone and I'll take one of our long ropes with me so that if she gets anxious I can dismount and lead her for a while. That way I can get her out on the tracks and further afield.
I took Remy out into the garden and lunged at walk on both reins, followed by a walk over to say hello to the neighbours who are here on holiday.
This afternoon I watched the Brits win the Team and Individual Gold Medals in the European Eventing Championships and Lewis Hamilton winning the Singapore Grand Prix. Go Brits!!! I am waving my flag!!!


3 comments:
Clicker is so helpful and I'm glad you got some fruitful work in the end and you sound much more upbeat than before...excellent!
Anky sounds like she's feeling better. I'm a bit fan of dismounting and hand-walking to help a horse on the trail who is worried - if that's what it takes, I'm glad to do it. In fact I did it today!
Congratulations - once again to the Brits, and another one on the progress with Anky.
I am happy for you, it sounds like things are going the right way. And clicker is helpful!
Post a Comment